(Burswood Station, April, 2002)
Built : 20th of April 1899 maybe
Original Name : Burswood (1899 - 1923), Rivervale (1923 - 1990's), Burswood (1990's to present).
Station History :
Burswood (Rivervale) was a busy junction on the south west railway from
Perth to Bunbury, as the track between
Burswood and East Perth, was only a single line. This made both stations (East Perth and Burswood) a bottle neck along the Armadale line.
The name Burswood came from the locale Burswood, as the peninsula where Belmont Park Race course is, was called Burswood Island
for many year up until land fill reclaimed a lot of the land that the casino now stands on. The name Burswood is actually misspelt, when
the station was first built in 1899, the sign writer who was painting the station's sign, misspelt the name, the actual spelling for Burswood
is Burrs-wood, how ever the painter only spelt it with one R, but over time the miss-spelling caught on and it became the official spelling
of the station and area around the casino and peninsula.
(Thanks to Roderick Smith for these photo's of Rivervale
History of Western Australian Railways and Stations - Contents Page