Original Name :
Station Location :
2m 26c, 3.7kms (old station location, before being located underground).
Station History :
The area of Subiaco was named by WA's Benedictine community, when they
moved to the area from Guildford in 1851, they established
a monastery near Lake Monger and called it New Subiaco, after an
Italian town near Rome in the Sabine Mountains. How ever with the Fremantle
Guildford Railway passing close by to the Monastery a Station was provided
in 1883 and the 'New' in New Subiaco was dropped.
Subiaco Station became an important stopping place along the section
of track from Perth to Fremantle, same as Claremont it was used as passing
for trains travelling to and from Perth, before the track was duplicated.
The Original Subiaco Station was in the typical WAGR design for the 1880's,
it was modest shelter with a ticketing ofifice, the shelter had a rounded
roof, same as Chidlow, Spencer's Brook, Swan View, etc. By the turn of
20th centuary, it had been upgraded to the typical design of the 1890's
Stations, simular to Bayswater, East Perth, Maylands, Swanbourne, etc, it's
was wooden, not bitumen or concrete, it had a second shelter on it's
other platform (as it was configured with track running between it's 2
was a rectangular shelter, with the elevated signal tower at one end.
This is how Subiaco stayed for many decades, however somewhere in history,
not sure when, maybe the 1960's or 1970's, the 1890's styled Station
building simular to Maylands, was removed or demolished, only leaving the
with the smaller shelter and elevated Signal Cabin, this platform was
then used as an island platform for both trains going to fremantle and to
This station remained in place up to the mid 1990's, it was in bad need
of repair and a paint job, the signal cabin and shelter were still there,
for how long that wasn't sure, because the WA Government had put plans
into motion for a realignment of the railway through Subiaco to make a
for a kilometre or two, along with an undeground station, at the ajacent
site to the old subiaco station. Eventually the Bennett Brook Railway out
Whiteman Park, provided a home for the station shelter and signal cabin.
Today Subiaco Station is vastly different to how it was 10 years ago,
the area around the station has been rejuvenated with, apartments being built
in the old
industrial area to the north of the station, large area's of grass have
been provided around the underground stations access. All in all, I think
in Subiaco's case
a modern look was a positive step, the station looks attractive and it
has become the centre of Subiaco once again.
The old Subiaco Station, is located at Whiteman Park, at the Village
Station, it's the second platform, the first platform being the old East
A postcard of Subiaco Station, from the turn
of the 20th Centuary.
Subiaco Station, looking towards Fremantle,
Thanks to Alan Reynolds, for he's
photo of Subiaco Station
(note the main station building on the far left platform
is gone), 1st of April 1988)
(Thanks to Roderick Smith for this photo of Subiaco
Subiaco Station, 16th of
You can see more photos of the old Subiaco Station, now located at Whiteman