9th of Feb 1898 and closed on 13th
of Feb 1966
Original Name :
Station History :
Swan View was built on a natural ledge,
half way up the Darling Range, over looking Midland Junction. Originally,
Mahogany Creek Deviation line was built, Swan View was only a siding for
passing trains, about to make there way through the tunnel or after
being through the tunnel on their way down the hill to the Junction at Bellevue.
The Station was closed in 1966, how ever in recent times, it
has been restored to some extent. It is still in it’s original location
near the Morrison road crossing. Swan View is the only station along the
National Park line that still survives today. Today the station is used
as a starting point for bush walkers and mountain bike riders who wish to
make their way up along the old railway path through the John Forrest National
Park. Less then 1 kms away is the Swan View Tunnel, then further
on Jane falls and National Park Station, it is a worth wild walk or ride
along the old trail and takes less then a few hours to do a return trip to
National Park from Morrison Road.
Swan View Station was eventually equipped with a runaway siding, after concerns
were raised about the steep climb up the hill, also due to the
dangers of using the tunnel, between Swan View and National Park Station.
Trains heading up hill throw the tunnel, faced a hard and dangerous
task, as the smoke from the engines, filled their cabins and caused the
driver and fireman to pass out in some cases. In one particular case,
a driver died at the control due to smoke inhalation, he’s train then ran
backwards out of control at around 70 to 80kmph, until it was
stopped by the runaway siding located at Swan View Station.